Preparing Your House for Sale
10 Tips for Preparing to Sell Your Home
There are always plenty of things that need to be done before selling a house. Make sure your house is ready for a real estate auction with some of the following tips:
- Clean it. Pay attention to clutter, bulky furniture, and smells. Remember that the new buyer is going to want to see clean spaces with purpose and not be bombarded with any bad smells.
- Paint the walls. Houses sell faster and are valued higher when painted neutral colors.
- Simple décor. Remember that people want to envision themselves living in your house. Show simple decorating that they could easily change if they wanted to.
- Get rid of personal items. Again, people want to envision themselves in a house of their own. They don’t want to see all of your personal stuff like family photos or kids drawings on the refrigerator.
- Lighting. Make sure to open your windows and allow plenty of natural light in. When a room is lit well, it makes it seem warm and welcoming (not to mention bigger).
- Organize your closets. Yes, people are going to look in there.
- The little things. The value of a home goes up when all the little fixes are taken care of. So fix that creaky step or the leaky faucet.
- Bathrooms. Make your bathroom more appealing by using spa inspired soaps, clean towels and washcloths, and candles.
- Plants. Bring the outdoors in with some plants. It gives a little aesthetic boost to every room.
- Enticing curb appeal. The outside of the house and the surrounding yard is the first thing everyone will see. This needs to be the first selling point. Make sure that the outside of the house is clean and the lawn is trimmed.